Kingston Primary School
COVID19 Kingston PS Update 5.1
Current at 8.30am March 24th 2020
This page was last updated and is current as at Tuesday 24 March, 8.30am and will be updated as required.
Red text: New information since the 23rd March update (update 5).
Blue text: Edited information to provide greater clarity, or updated to reflect an update
Please find the latest information regarding C19 protocols that relate directly to how we are operating in our school. The School response team has discussed the Health and Education Departments directives. Below are the protocols that are in place at Kingston Primary School.
I would like to thank the awesome staff here at Kingston for their dedication and passion to their role in our community. You have been brilliant in this uncertain time. Our school is leading many others across the state in the manner in which we are working and communicating.
Also thank you to all the parents and carers in our community for your understanding and patience. We have really appreciated the positive feedback and support you have been sending in. This small acknowledgement makes a big difference to us. Thank you.
Should my child come to school?
- Our school is open, but parents may choose to keep their children at home.
- We are working hard to keep the staff and students as safe as possible. If you keep your child home, let us know the dates via the Kingston School app.
- The end date of term one is April 9.
- If your child is showing signs of illness, keep them home. If your child displays signs of illness at school, you will be required to collect your child.
Can the school provide activities for my child to work on at home?
Yes. We have a “Learning at Home” toolkit which includes a list of apps, websites and links to direct you to some suggested activities that can be completed at home. This is on our website now. https://www.kingstonprimary.wa.edu.au/_d/2024 . We are not providing individual homework packages.
The Department of Education also has a learning at home portal which has year level specific and curriculum area specific activies and suggestion to enable students to learn at home. https://www.education.wa.edu.au/learning-at-home
Staff will follow Health Department advice on when they are to stay home. We have many staff members who are either immuno-compromised or have immediate family members who are compromised. Our staff are now making sensible personal health decisions that are best for them as I expect them to. As a result, our staff absences are now increasing and I expect this to continue over the coming weeks. We will do our best to replace staff when they are absent however this will become increasingly difficult.
In the case where we do not have enough teaching staff to cover our regular classrooms, as per our usual processes, we will be combining classes, keeping in mind trying not to compromise sensible social distancing. In the case of Education Assistants, we will endeavour to replace our special needs assistants. Where we cannot do this, we will endeavour to inform the parent of the student affected.
- Please advise the school through our app if your child is/will be absent. App notices are preferred as we are experiencing a high volume of calls and when staff are not at school they cannot access the attendance register to record the reason for absence.
- Students who are absent due to self-isolation will be recorded as reasonable cause. Absences that have not be explained will be marked as unexplained and will be followed up for an explanation.
- If you are advised that your child has come into contact with C19 please advise the Principal immediately
Social Distancing / Mass Gatherings
- Kiss and drop at the door – All children are to be dropped off at the classroom door. Parents are not to enter the classroom.
- Non-essential visitors are asked to stay away from school. This includes all volunteers.
- Kingston Community Playgroup is cancelled
- Speech and Occupational Therapy will continue at this time.
- Children must not arrive at school until 8.20 at the earliest.
- All children are to leave the school grounds immediately after the 3pm bell. Students and parents must not remain on site after the school bell unless waiting for a bus
- Choir practice is cancelled until further notice.
- Events that involve students gathering together for incursions and all excursions have been cancelled
- School assemblies will not be held until otherwise advised.
- Honour certificates will continue to be handed out by admin to each class separately. Parents will be advised by the teacher that the child is receiving an honour certificate.
- Our ANZAC service is cancelled.
- Our School Photos have been postponed until late term three
- Our planned swimming lessons in term two are cancelled
- Parent – Teacher meetings are now cancelled.
- Seating arrangements as best as possible in classrooms will be spread out
Health & Hygiene practices-
- Parents must keep children at home if they show signs of illness.
- Library books or home readers will not be sent home
- Sharing between students including books, iPads and stationary where practical will not occur.
- All major access doors will remain open. This includes classroom doors.
- Children will not be permitted to play on any of the school playground equipment after the final bell.
- Our cleaners have ramped up their cleaning processes throughout the school.
- Handwashing must occur on school site before eating, after the toilet and after a break in the playground.
- Soap dispensers are full every day.
- Hand washing and hygiene signs that promote an effective washing time are being promoted through the school.
- All toilet doors have posters for handwashing.
- Paper towel is replenished every day.
- Please discuss with your child the need to be highly respectful about the resources provided in the school toilets.
- Our resources are finite, (soap, paper towel, sanitiser) and we have had socially inappropriate actions in some areas of the school that impact on our resource levels and the respect for the work of our cleaners).
- The school is actively encouraging and demonstrating to students;
- cough, sneeze, cover protocols,
- hand washing protocols and good personal hygiene practices.
- Handshakes, high-fives and similar must be avoided.
Food and Drink Practices
- Shared food – food sharing is not permitted.
- Drinking fountains - students will be discouraged from drinking directly from the water fountains. All student must have a water bottle. Water bottles can be refilled from water fountains.
Social Distances and Special Needs Students
- Where ever possible social distance requirements will be maintained.
- Our staff will distance student desks as best as possible within the classroom.
- Our students with special needs will still require additional attention which makes social distance protocols very difficult. We will do our best to manage these situations for both staff and students.
Our website: https://www.kingstonprimary.wa.edu.au/
Ongoing …. Here are areas we would like you to familiarise yourself with
- Children are to leave school grounds at 3 pm unless attending after school care or catching a bus
- Children are not permitted at school before 8.20am
- Ensure your contact details are up to date- please contact the office.
- If your child displays signs of illness they must remain at home.
- Kiss and drop at the door
What parents can do to help control the spread of the virus
- As mentioned in recent correspondence, Kingston PS has already put in place general hygiene reminders for students. Please reinforce this with your child.
- Ongoing: Please have a conversation with your children about the hygiene practices, especially no sharing of drink bottles and food. This will always be reinforced by all of our school staff.
Who cannot attend school – advice as at 24 March 2020
A mandatory 14-day self-isolation requirement is placed on all arrivals into Western Australia. This applies to all staff, students, parents/carers, contractors, visitors and volunteers on school sites.
Students or staff who have been tested for COVID-19 should follow the advice of the WA Department of Health and stay away from school whilst awaiting results.
Students or staff also need to self-quarantine if they have been informed by public health authorities that they have been in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus. They must isolate themselves for 14 days after the date of last contact with the confirmed case.
Communication with Parents
- Our main form of communication with parents is through our school app and website.
- We will send you a text message for urgent matters asking you to check our website.
- We must have your correct contact details. If you have changed your phone number in the last 12 months, please ensure we have the new number.
Recess and lunch times arrangements
Students will remain under the supervision of their class teacher to eat their morning tea. This may be in the classroom or outside their class (veranda or covered areas). Class teachers will dismiss their students at 10.50am. The recess play session will be from 10.50am – 11.10am
Students will remain under the supervision of their class teacher to eat their lunch. This may be in the classroom or outside their class (veranda or covered areas). Class teachers will dismiss their students at 1.30pm. The lunch play session will be from 1.30pm – 1.55pm
C19 Kingston Primary School Response Team
Our school currently has a school response team that meet as often as required. The team has a school closure plan that will be implemented if directed to do so by the WA Chief Medical Officer.
Thank you all for assisting in these important containment and risk minimisation measures. Updates will be forwarded as required, and will be available on the school website: https://www.kingstonprimary.wa.edu.au/
Our website is the MAIN place for regular updates. Please keep a close eye on our website and download our app for the latest advice specifically related to our school.
Thank you for helping to keep our community safe.
Important links for further information
Learning at Home
Kingston Primary School
Department of Education
Department of Health
Department of Home Affairs
Kingston App Android Link
Ed Dept Learning at Home
Kingston App Apple Link